DOES KIDS TOYS HAVE GENDER?

Earlier this week, a parent of a 7-Year-old Boy posted on Twitter “My Son chopped fat chunks off my wig today to make extensions for his dolls” it was how liberal she was as she posted unbothered by the fact that her son CHOSE to play with dolls. I say chose because it's his choice to play with dolls. 

"As someone who grew up with tons of dolls, seeing those tweets took me back and I saw my younger self defending my choices. Luckily it was my parents who bought me dolls. It was my choice to play with dolls and I didn't see anything wrong with my choices. Playing with dolls as a child didn't condition me to be gay. Instead, what bothers me is why do we attach gender to children's toy's" says Romley

The comments went viral, attacking the Parent, why is her son playing with dolls? This raised a lot of questions about toys having a gender, does that mean if My Son is playing with a Ken doll, is he Gay? On a National Pride month nogal, people have guts to question other people's choices. 

Society will tell tell you to be yourself at the same time when you show up as your true self, they then tell you not like that while judging you.

One comment said “There is something wrong with YOU if you think it’s wrong for boys to play with baby dolls. Nothing wrong with the Parent, Not the child…. just you” 


The Mother of the boy gave her opinion by saying “The whole notion that toys condition the child to be gay or not…… if that’s the case then what do we condition the child to be if we buy them Toy Guns? It’s got nothing to do with the child’s sexuality. There are little girls who play with all kinds of toys including cars and boys’ toys. Are kids concerned that they would want to be boys? No……a toy is a toy.

Let’s not disadvantage our kids from playing and learning, toys are made for playing, there is no toy that has a Gender sign that says, “for Girls only” or “for Boys only”. There are many people who grew up playing with the "opposite sex toys" and they are now adults with no issues of their sexuality. Let’s not define or label our kids based on the Toys they prefer to play with.

By Ernest Buti Skhosana & Romley T

Pictures: Twitter/Google